Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Pamplona redux

Back in Pamplona after bidding adios to Corinne in Bilbao.  She is flying to Paris tonight and then home to Winnipeg and I'm resuming my walk on the Camino tomorrow morning. Safe travels, Corinne, I will miss your companionship.

Both Pamplona and Bilbao are lovely, lively cities featuring the original older sections with their glorious churches, narrow cobbled streets and traditional restaurants. I'd definitely recommend a visit if the opportunity presents itself. Although I'm not religious, it is hard not to appreciate the lavish, ornate interiors and beautiful architecture. Picture follows of the Iglesia de San Cernin in Pamplona.

Bilboa also contains some incredible modern architecture including our own hotel and, most notably, the Guggenheim museum. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of the Guggenheim and the famous sculptures on it's grounds, but I can't resist including the Anish Kapoor which reminds me of his wonderful Cloud Gate in Millenium Park, Chicago, near my old stomping grounds (many years ago).  Plus it's a great contrast with the church interior.  Wonder what sculpture developments there will be in the next 500 years?

Tomorrow's destination is the tiny town of Puente la Reina, about 24km away .

By the way, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the Camino, or at least answer based on my experiences.  I really appreciate your interest in my journey and it feels good knowing that I'm not alone ( at least in spirit ).

5 comments:

  1. The Guggenheim sounds amazing and such a world away! I am interested in the grimy details. What is the hiking like? Do you have blisters? Is it super tough or only sort of? What is the trail like? Is it wide like Stanley Park or narrow like behind the Little Red Schoolhouse on Salt Spring? How does the food work? What are the hostels like? Maybe you are too tired at the end of each day to write and we have to wait until you get home for answers to these nitty gritty questions! Happy trails! Dig in and have the best time ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sampling tapas and Riojas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having a great time and the weather is good. May the wind always be at your back. Brian Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, it all sounds fabulous. I'm jealous. Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your questions and support! I will try to address them in future blog posts, if the internet is willing.

    ReplyDelete