Monday, 9 June 2014

Choices

After starting out many weeks ago on May 10, I am due to arrive in the fabled Santiago de Compostela tomorrow, June 10.  I feel a little like Dorothy on her way to Oz where all my questions will be answered.  Thus far,  I must report that the experience has been great but the epiphanies few.

Actually there are many different pilgrim routes to Santiago but even on the same route there are many choices to be made that can have a huge impact an individual's experience.  Lets start with mode of transport, a question asked of pilgrims in Rocancesvalles, our first stop in Spain. Many walk, some cycle, and a few, as offered on the questionnaire, ride horses.  Walking makes it easier to meet and chat with other walkers enroute but does contribute to the 'Camino limp', blisters and other more serious injuries that I've seen walkers sustain.

Choice of accommodation can also have a big impact.  I had thought that almost all pilgrims stayed in the cheap albergues (pilgrim hostels) that dot the route.  Turns out that all of the hotels I've stayed in have also been filled with pilgrims. Some of these have even booked through travel services that arrange for hotels, meals and luggage transport between stops. If I had known about (and could afford) this luxury service I'm sure I would have been tempted.

Some pilgrims do the Camino in stages or do only part of the Camino. Some travel in groups but many travel solo.  Some take buses or taxis when tired or during bad weather, others wouldn't think of doing so.

Doing the Camino 'my way' hasn't been as unusual as I thought it would be. And that's just fine with me!

Pictures are of the trail today lined with fragrant eucalyptus trees, the amazing hotel I stayed in last night, scenery from the Galician province where the rainbow portended daily rain showers and O'Cebreiro village.





1 comment: