Friday, 13 June 2014

End of the world

It is tradition, apparently, to end ones Camino by continuing on to Finisterre and celebrating the end of wearing geeky hiking clothes by burning them. Purifying, symbolic and, I can report, extremely satisfying.

I've not checked my sources on this but it seems likely that before Columbus discovered America, the end of the world to Spaniards was Finisterre.  Looking west one sees the Atlantic ocean and nothing else. The Spanish equivalent of, say, Tofino. It also boasts the windy, rainy and foggy weather of Tofino - except on the day of our visit which was hot, sunny and incredibly lovely.

A visit to the beach, walk up to the lighthouse, symbolic fire & a fantastic seafood lunch was a decadent and wonderful way to end the Camino.

I have more to write about my Camino experience & will attempt to post some catch-up blogs over the next week while in Germany visiting my Camino companion, Wolfgang.





No comments:

Post a Comment