Wednesday, 4 June 2014

The Way

As part of my trip preparation I spent hours reading and taking notes from John Brierley's classic Camino guidebook. I had imagined that following the Camino would require exceptional diligence and map reading skills, and perhaps at one time it did.  I can report, however, that following the Camino (at least so far) has been incredibly easy (and that my time would have been better spent learning Spanish).

For one thing, there are usually dozens of pilgrims ahead of me to follow. For another, I have been told that there has been a large influx of EU money in support of Camino improvements. While this has not resulted in the availability of bathroom faciluties along the trail, it does seem to have produced excellent signage and visible upgrades to many of the small and seemingly deserted villages along the route.   Finally, people seem very eager to help and will quickly make it known to you if you stray from the path. I assume this is done for the best of reasons and not to keep the oddly dressed pilgrims away from the hidden and best restaurants.

Today's walk took us to O'Cebreiro, a special place on the Camino and a tourist destination in its own right. The expansive views from the mountaintop village were hidden by the fog but it was still very interesting and almost magical.

Pictures today are of several examples of the many different types of waymarkers along the Camino.









No comments:

Post a Comment