One of the surprises for me on the Camino was the many different types of paths that comprise the trail. We've walked on paved roads, narrow stony paths, sandy and muddy trails, flat 'sendas' or walking paths that parallel highways. Some of these road conditions make it much harder for cyclists than hikers so if you're planning to cycle the Camino, be warned.
I packed 2 pairs of running shoes thinking I could alternate each day. Turns out there is as good reason hiking boots as I've found my runners haven't really been great on the winding, ascending and descending large stony trails. Thank goodness for blister bandages and the inspiration of many older pilgrims who are gamely navigating the challenging trails with many more health issues to overcome than blisters.
Yesterday we were finally off the Meseta (plain) and back into the mountains. Beautiful but definitely more strenuous. Pictures are samples of the path from different parts of the Camino.
Thanks for all the great pictures, Lesley. After I've looked at them, I find myself re-reading your descriptions. Are you on your own now, Lesley?
ReplyDelete